Wednesday, February 24, 2010

IF YOU WANT TO GET SOMETHING DONE …




I like duct tape. There, I said it. I mean, I really like duct tape. I like the way it looks. I like the way it feels. I like the way it smells. I like the way it sounds. And I really like the way it tastes. Especially when it’s hot and melty, sticky and zelty. (I know, zelty isn’t really a word but I wanted something to rhyme with melty. Yes, I know, melty isn’t really a word either but I was already committed to zelty so …) Where was I? Oh, right, duct tape.

I’m sorry, did I say duct tape? I meant to say pizza. I really like pizza. I like the way pizza looks, feels, smells, sounds and tastes. And I especially like fresh, handmade pizza.

I recently was enjoying a deep-dish “supreme” pizza, and after about my seventh piece (I like to cut them into bite-size pieces just to watch people’s faces when I tell them I ate around 15 pieces of pizza for lunch), I had a revelation about one of the idiosyncrasies of time management.

There is a saying that “if you want to get something done, give it to a busy person.” This is because the busy person doesn’t have time to waste. He or she tends to maximize the minutes of their days whereas the average person tends to think in terms of hours. One sees 480 units of time to manage, the other sees eight chunks to get through. One manages, the other muddles. One attacks, the other avoids. One pursues, the other ponders.

With apologies to Ben Franklin, I leave you with this: Watch the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment