Thursday, August 26, 2010

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK THAT A CHECKOUT PERSON BE ABLE TO DO SIMPLE MATH …


She was a pleasant enough girl, and proficient at grabbing the items, scanning them, and then putting them in the plastic bag. But when it came time to make change, the elevator carrying her brain got stuck between floors.

“Your total comes to $7.57,” she said.

I handed her a ten dollar bill, two singles, three quarters and two pennies – $12.77.

She counted it and said, “You gave me too much, sir. It’s only $7.57.”

I told her to just enter it in the cash register and I would get back the change I wanted.

“But it’s too much,” she repeated, as she tried to give me back the two singles and the two pennies.

I assured her that it would work out. Just enter $12.77 in the register, and I would get back $5.20 in change.

“Really?” she asked, as her eyes went a bit wide. “You can do that in your head?”

She dutifully entered $12.77 in the register and sure enough, it informed her that my change was $5.20.

She handed me my change and said, “That was really cool.”

I told her thanks and went on my way.

But seriously, if you've graduated from high school … heck, if you’ve graduated from elementary school, shouldn’t you be able to do simple math … in your head? Or at the very least, not be so surprised that someone else can.

1 comment:

  1. sad, but true. most people cannot do your so-called "simple math" in their heads.... ;P

    ReplyDelete