Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WHY EAT CHOCOLATE WHEN YOU CAN EAT BEANS …



I recently heard a dietitian advising a group on some of the tricks for effective weight loss. Most of them were the standard, tried and true tips. Eat less. Watch portions. Move more. Like I said, the usual.

A women in the group asked a question. She said that sometimes when she’s feeling kind of down, she has a strong craving for something sweet and was there something the dietitian could suggest other than a gallon of ice cream with a quart of chocolate syrup and a can of whipped cream. (Personally, I thought the ice cream would work at satisfying the sweet craving, but then, I’m not a registered dietitian.)

Instead of suggesting something like a handful of berries, or maybe some yogurt, or even a bit of dark chocolate, she offered something I did not expect to hear.

Beans.

Oh yes she did. She said beans. Or more specifically, garbanzo beans or lentils.

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-ight. Because when my brain is shouting “I WANT PEEPS” my hand is naturally going to reach for a can of beans or a bag of lentils.

She, of course, explained that when you consume sugar, you get that high-energy spike followed by that low-energy crash. But by consuming a complex carb instead, your blood sugar stays more level, subsequently avoiding the spike and crash effect.

Okay. That makes sense, if your intent is to maintain a more consistent blood sugar level. However, if you’re “craving” sugar, it's going to be real hard to convince your body that beans is “almost like sugar.”

That’s sort of like feeling you want a haircut so you go to the dentist and have a cavity filled. Yes, getting that tooth taken care of is good for you, but your desire for a haircut is still there.

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against beans. In fact, I rather enjoy them. But I’m just not going to graze the garbanzos when I really want swallow the sweets.

So here’s my suggestion.

Go for the yogurt.

My personal choice is Chobani Greek Yogurt. The blueberry has no fat, no cholesterol, is low carb and high protein (as in 14 grams per serving). And it satisfies my sweet craving.

Besides, my brain gets confused enough as it is, without trying to convince it that beans are just like Peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment