Tuesday, October 19, 2010

FORGET YOUR TOMBSTONE. WHAT WILL YOU BE KNOWN FOR TODAY …


It was one of the more unusual statements I’ve ever heard an 8-year-old utter.

“I’m fierce. I’m bold. And you will remember me. Always.”

I asked her how she had come to proclaim such a statement.

“My mom always said that.”

“Said?” I asked her. “Doesn’t she say that anymore?”

“She died of cancer seven months ago.”

I told her how sorry I was about her loss, but I had to ask her why she said it.

“’Cause I want to be just like my mom,” she said with absolute conviction. Her eyes started to tear up, but after a few moments, she interrupted her gentle crying with, “I’m fierce. I’m bold. And you will remember me. Always.”

That happened almost ten years ago. And while I don’t know whatever became of her, one thing is certain … I do remember.

If you only had ten words to guide and motivate you, what would they be?

No comments:

Post a Comment