Wednesday, September 29, 2010

HOW DIRTY DO YOU HAVE TO BE BEFORE YOU’RE NO LONGER CLEAN …


If you’re in the business of cleaning, shouldn’t your own stuff be clean?

It seems counter-productive to drive a vehicle around, painted bright yellow so you are clearly noticed, prominently featuring the word “clean” in your business name, caked with dust, dirt and grime.

It is, after all, a mobile representation of your commitment to the service you propose to do for others. If you show up at my home or business, in a dirty truck, wearing a stained shirt, holes in your pants and shoes that look like they haven’t been cleaned and polished since the day you bought them, I’m not going to trust you to do a good job cleaning my home or business.

At the end of your task, I really don’t want to hear, “Well, it’s cleaner than it was before. That should be good enough.”

Good enough?

If 75% is good enough, does that mean when you need to replace all four tires on your car, and they only put three tires on, that’s “good enough”?

Maybe 85% is good enough for you. So when you give me your bill for $100, does that mean I only need to pay you $85, since that’s your standard for “good enough”?

And if “cleaner than it was before,” is your measure of success, then just giving you a few dollars should be good enough, since it will be “more than you had before.”

That is, assuming that I let you in my home or business in the first place, given that you showed up looking rather dirty and disheveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment