Thursday, August 5, 2010

AN OUNCE OF AWARENESS IS WORTH A POUND OF PLANNING …


“I like a balanced life,” he said. “Whether I have many or few things that I am dealing with, I want them balanced. I do not like chaos. I like order. I like balance.”

“So what do you do when life comes along and bumps your balance?” I asked him.

“No. I don’t let that happen,” he said

“You don’t let what happen? Life?”

“No. I don’t let the bumps in life upset my balance.”

“But how do you avoid that?”

“Proper planning,” he said, somewhat smugly.

“So, if your home caught fire and was burned to the ground, you have a plan for that?”

“Well, no. But nobody really plans for catastrophe.”

“So if one of life’s catastrophes bumped into your balance, what would you do?”

“I’d have to adjust, I guess,” he said, as if he had never really considered life outside of his plans. “But I don’t really expect anything like that to happen to me.”

“And why is that?” I asked.

“Because I have a good primary plan and a good backup plan. I’ve got great short and long-term goals and I’ve already started on my Bucket List. So even if something happens I can still maintain my balance, with some adjustment, of course.”

Our conversation drifted on toward less philosophical considerations, but I couldn’t help wondering if my young friend was on to something.

Do plans and goals make for a balanced life?

Well, of course they help. But I believe that a balanced life is more about awareness of life than it is about a blueprint for life.

So as you go through the next week, increase your awareness of how life is effecting you.

No comments:

Post a Comment