Thursday, February 11, 2010

No time to say Hello. Goodbye. I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

The White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland



It was a simple enough question: “What you doin’ today?”

The answer: “Well after I drop off the kids at day care I’m going to the gym for the 49-minute workout after which I’ll stop by the dollar store to pick up some party favors for the kids party tonight and then drop by RedBox to pick up a few videos then over to the drycleaners to pick up my husband’s shirts then do some shopping at BB&B right before I pick up some soil at Home Depot then I’m meeting some friends for lunch but I won’t be able to spend too much time there because I’ve got a 1pm appointment for my nails followed by a 1:45 appointment to get my hair done but I’m still hoping I can squeeze in some time to get a massage after my hair but before I have to pick up the cake at the bakery then it’s off to get the car washed and I’m really hoping there won’t be a long line because my husband wants me to pick up some cigars at the shop near to where I’m meeting my sister who thank God picked up my kids from day care earlier but who needs me to pick them up at the library so we can all catch Bobbie’s soccer game then head home for the party and I can start putting the snacks and such together, make the table, decorate the living room oh but I’ve got to remember to vacuum the living room first after I put the dog outside, take a shower get dressed and hopefully be all set before the first guests arrive.”

Really? That’s all? Oh and that whooshing sound you hear? That’s just Marlene taking a breath before her next onslaught of one run-on sentence after another – what she’s doing during and after the party before she sits down at the end of the night to plan how every minute of tomorrow will proceed.

And all I could think of was … Breathe.

Slow down.

Stop.

We miss so much of life because we’re so busy rushing from here to there, doing this and that, and passing on that franticness to those around us. We seem to have forgotten the power that lies in being still.

So the next time you feel that you just don’t have time for anything.

Breathe.

Slow down.

Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment